Day 2 – Great Ocean Road

Trudi from Macka’s farm called on us at 830am the next morning. The kids had milks, eggs and biscuits before they went out to follow Trudi on her working trail in the farm. We had to put on the gumboots to walk around in the farm as there were droppings all over the barn.

Z helped to bottle feed the lambs, rabbits, chickens, goat, pigs and Alpaca. Alpaca was seldom seen in Singapore, or was it never, and I had only read about it in books. Trudi said they had purchased Alpaca to guard the farm because they were very alert, fast and cautious animals. They would not eat even if we fidgeted slightly because they had thought we meant to ambush them! The resident cats and dogs at the farm were great fun too. They followed us through the trail and Andy the dog was always ready for a game of Fetch with Z. Andy would not release the ball to me and opted for Z to throw for him to fetch.

We were done with the morning run and was invited to be back by 430pm for the evening feeds and milking of cows.

We headed out to 12 Apostles. I had wanted to do the touristy stuff and take a helicopter ride. Z was scared stiff and adamant about staying put on land. We had an equally good view from the lookout points and a field day answering Z on how the apostles were formed and destroyed.

My boy model with what was left of the 12 Apostles

Along the board walkIMG_7822.JPG

From a viewing point (after 15 minutes’ of board walk)

We also popped over to Lord Ard Gorge where Z quizzed us as to why a ship could hit the rocks and sank off coast.

Lunch time

We had lunch at Karoa in Port Campbell where they served up an awesome calamari salad as well as a steak brioche and a eggs & bacon brioche. There was a famed food trail in the area so we headed over to the nearby visitor’s information centre to enquire.

The only thing that interested us was ice cream and chocolates. We headed up to Timboon ice cream located at Timboon distillery. It was a 20min’s drive.

It was disappointing that we could not see the making of whisky or ice cream. However, the Timboon ice cream was superb. It was so rich and creamy that it was actually chewy. Having tried the poorer cousin of Yarra Valley ice cream and probably every other less than spectacular ice cream later on, we appreciated the fineness of Timboon ice cream.

Timbon Distillery

We drove over to Gorge Chocolates. They also did not show the making of chocolates. We got a bar of marbled chocolate and a cup of hot milk chocolate. The former tasted like Cadbury and the latter was too milky for my liking. Gorge chocolates was not impressive but it had a beautiful farm property. We saw ponies and even a turkey which was hilarious.

Pony at Gorge Chocolates

We returned to Macka’s farm because it was time for the evening feed. Z and I tried our hands at milking. We learned that because it was a working farm, it was a lot more efficient for them to use electric pumps to draw out the milk which would pass through sterile tubes into a sterile steel container. Trudi filled a jug of milk for us to try. I asked her why I saw many Devondale signs on other farms along Princetown area. She explained that those farms supplied to Devondale and her farm supplied to another brand. They were paid about $0.50 per litre of milk. Boy, were there a lot of milk! There was so much milk that Trudi joked that she could have a Cleopatra’s bath. Practically every baby animal on the farm was on cows’ milk.

Our fresh jug of milk in hand at the barn

In the evening, we also helped to bottle feed the baby calves. We learnt that cows had to deliver babies because they could nurse and lactate. Well, that made sense… But that was something which I never really associated with. New mummy cows had colostrum too! That was also critical for the growth of the baby calves. Trudi said that some companies had wanted to buy colostrum at a much higher price but the nutritional benefits for their baby calves were far more important.

We also helped to shoo the chickens back into their coop. It was funny to note that chickens liked shade and bread crumbs. Once we were done with the feeds, we played this toboggan-like device. Z also spent his time playing with Andy.

Z & Andy

It was a lot colder and there was no flies, so yay! However, we also found out that Z left his water bottle at a store in Port Campbell so we had to drive over to pick it up. En route back, we stopped over at Gibson Steps to experience how cold it was… And it was super, duper cold!


We rounded off the night with Z drinking the fresh cow’s milk and exclaiming that it tasted like the milk we bought from the supermarket. It was hilarious and also showed us how little impact verbal communication had on kids. We told him many times that milk came from cows but still… It certainly took a farmstay to help him learn where milk came from.

5 responses to “Day 2 – Great Ocean Road

  1. this farmstay looks very educational indeed in comparison to the one I went! πŸ˜€

  2. Hi there, I’ve just booked at Macka’s Farm in Dec and just realized bout the flies issues that you faced. I foresee Dec would have more flies with the hot temperature. Can I check if the room is air-conditioned?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s