Day 7 – Japan, Disneyland

This was the most epic theme park day ever in my personal history, for Mr H and for the kids too. We clocked 14 continuous hours in Disneyland, with X only napping for an hour and Z with zero nap. Both kids played well and hard. No meltdown, great job my dear boys!

We arrived at the park entrance at 830 to queue for early entry to the park at 845. The park opened at 9am and to be honest, I thought they could be more generous with the early entry but anyhow, the 15 minutes helped us to gain a head start.

I would say that because we completed 21 attractions (unique theatres/rides), 2 parades, 1 lunch-on-the-go, 1 tea break, 1 tea break-on-the-go and 1 dinner entertainment in a day. I had to say the entire family party was very cooperative in order for this to happen!

While DisneySea was fun, Disneyland totally rocked and was a lot more fun (for the kids). I was glad that I arranged to visit Disneyland later instead.

Dressed for the day  – I was happy to fit the kids’ size of 150 because it meant that  my t-shirt was cheaper by 400yen. The boys’ tees were 1600yen each, mine was 1900yen and Mr H’s was 2300yen. I thought it was quite cute to have discriminatory pricing based on sizes.

We started with Tomorrow Land. We walked briskly to the first ride of the day for us. It was “Monster Inc. ride & go seek!”. We waited less than 5min and got to the ride. Each carriage sat 2 persons and we were supposed to use torch lights to shine at the monsters. X loved it, so did we! It was really good!

We ran over to “Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters”. We had taken this ride a few times in Hong Kong and Paris but this was slightly better. It was actually harder to hit the targets but the experience was awesome.

Next up was “Grand Circuit Raceway” while Mr H went to pick up the Fast pass for Space Mountain.

X drove a grand auto!

Racing was serious business

The boys managed to ride this twice.

We hopped over to “StarJets” and munched on snacks. We had woken up so early, by our standards, that we barely ate breakfast. After “StarJets”, we took the “Space Mountain” ride while Mr H & my dad babysat X. When we were out, Z took the ride again with Mr H while I went to the food court to buy fast food as early lunch.

We had seen people sitting on the floor so we realised they were waiting for the parade. The park attendants allowed us to ‘reserve’ seating spots on the floor by placing personal items to chope the place, not unlike our tissue-blocking culture. We ate the fast food while waiting for the parade to save time. Meanwhile, Mr H picked up the fast passes for Winnie the Pooh. Though it was only 11ish, the fast pass timing given was 1735-1835h. Another sold out ride…

We camped under the hot sun from 11am for the 1130am parade, which only reached Tomorrow land at almost 12pm
*caps, umbrellas & sunblock were essential!!

It was such an orderly wait and the floats were so gorgeous that it was a well deserved wait! I liked the part where there was no jostling and you could take photos/videos to your heart’s contents.

Awesome floats at the parade (repeated in the afternoon at 330pm too)

More happy floats

X loved, loved, loved the parades, so did Z. When my kids were happy, I was happy too!

We popped over to Fantasyland when the parade was over. We went to “It’s a small world” & “Alice’s Tea Party”.

Spinning Alice’s tea cup

I wanted the kids to try “Haunted Mansion” since there was no queue or minimum height requirement. Mr H felt it was a bad choice. I reckoned X would have been fine if Z did not start wailing. In any case, we made it through with screaming/crying boys. The ride was so dark that X fell asleep. That was a great outcome, in my opinion!

Since X slept, unsurprisingly after such a long morning, we went to Critter Country. The “Splash Mountain” looked really wet and required a 70mins’ wait. We gave that a miss and went to “Beaver Brothers Explorer Canoes”.

Canoe ride

It looked interesting and was fun till… we got tired. It was a pretty long canoe ride around the river.

We walked over to Westernland and picked up the Fast pass for “Big Thunder Mountain”. I was surprised because I thought we had to take the winnie the pooh ride before claiming another fast pass. We took a break with ice cream, popsicle, drinks and Katsu curry don at almost 2pm. We shopped a tad more & Z got bored. He wanted to take more rides. We queued 25min for Peter Pan’s Flight and woke X up for this. He had only napped for an hour but he was raring to go.

We also watched “Mickey’s PhilharMagic” which was like a 4D show without the shaking but it gave us a good respite from the heat and walking. The kids were very amused though.

We went for another round on the Castle Carousel & we visited the Cinderella’s castle as there was no queue.

Cinderella’s throne

There were Dumbo’s Flying Elephant ride (similar to Star Jet & Jasmine’s Flying Carpet), Snow White’s Adventures & Pinocchio’s Daring Journey which we missed. The former had way too long a queue so we gave it a miss. There was a warning that the Snow White’s ride might be too scary for children and I did not want to risk making X cry. My kids did not know who Pinocchio really was and opted to play other rides… okay, totally my bad to not have revised the older fairy tales with them.

We returned to Westernland and claimed the “Big Thunder Mountain” ride before proceeding to Adventureland. We took a rest stop at “The Enchanted Tiki Room: Stitch Presents Aloha E Komo Mai”. The show was quite bad in my opinion but the kids were amused…?!

We proceeded to queue for the Wildlife Expeditions Jungle Cruise. There was a 25mins’ queue. It was already 5pm so we were surprised that this was still so crowded. Whilst queuing, I bought grilled ‘deboned’ teriyaki chicken legs. The kids enjoyed so much that we had to buy more.

The wild jungle cruise

As the Jungle Cruise and the Western River Railroad shared the same station, my mom & I brought X up to the railroad while Mr H & my dad brought Z to take “Pirates of the Caribbean”. There was an odd note for the latter that “guests who cannot maintain a stable sitting position alone in a moving vehicle may not ride”. Hence, I was afraid that X could not take the ride and brought him to take the train ride which he would so love anyway.

Mr H said there was no queue for the “Pirates of the Caribbean”, so after both our rides ended, I passed X over to Mr H who accompanied the kids to watch a Mickey performance at “Theatre Orleans” which was also the mid point of both rides. I was surprised that the boat ride for “Pirates of the Caribbean” was similar to the boat for “It’s a small world”. Initially, I thought we should have brought X for this.

There was one part where there was a gentle drop into the water. I supposed that probably was why X could not ride. The exhibits could also be too scary for X.

After this, we rushed back to “Winnie the Pooh” ride. Even at 630pm, there was still a snaking 70min queue for Winnie the Pooh! It was an awesome ride, nonetheless, and X refused to leave the car. We dragged him to Toontown. I had hoped to take another photo with Mickey but it was a 40mins’ wait so we skipped it.

Mickey’s car

We took Z on “Gadget’s Go Coaster” while my parents babysat X.

We skipped the characters’ home and headed for Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin. This attraction was showing signs of aging. It was not as fun as how I remembered it used to be. No wonder no fast pass was required. It felt like a ‘has been’ ride.

By now, we were all exhausted and Z wanted to reride the Grand Circuit Raceway. My mom took him to the ride while we shopped, changed X’s diapers and waited for the 730pm night parade. It was superb! I was blown away, so were the kids. The floats kept coming and I had zilch phone battery at this stage.

The night’s electrical float

Electrifying Cinderella’s gown

Illuminated Minnie

Mickey on Float

After the parade, we bought more merchandise from Disney Stores because we had a dinner reservation at the Diamond Horseshoe at 2040h which I had reserved via the Travel Case and paid in full earlier. It was 4940yen per adult and 3900yen per child to dine and watch Mickey & Company perform on stage. It was so much fun and a really cosy experience.

Finale photo from Mickey & Company Dinner

The dinner ended at 2215h and we took our time to stroll out of the park, and to make last minute’s purchases.

This instagram post of mine said it all, except that I realised I miscalculated. We spent 12 hours at DisneySea, not 10 hours!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s